Friday, June 24, 2011

Cross Dressing in Guyana

It came as a surprise to me that cross dressing is illegal in Guyana. I learnt his after watching a you tube video asking people opinions on cross dressing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXESfHYIYc&feature=share )

The uploader was inspired by the Documentary "My Wardrobe , My Right," which was shown at SASOD's recent flim festival. In addition i read GT Observes thoughts on My Wardrobe My Right. Both of these are worth checking out when you’re finished reading this!

Although, the word cross dresser springs to mind drag queens. Cross Dressing by definition is wearing the clothing that is associated with a gender that is not your own. There are also female cross dresser. Perhaps they can more easily pull this off, as many women adopt male clothing either because its a uniform as in the military , or for ease and comfort.

Many persons also associate cross dressing with homosexuality, or transgender. However cross dressers sometimes cross dress simply because they feel more comfortable in the clothing of the opposite sex. They may not be homosexual at all.

A little more research on Cross Dressing in Guyana, led me to find that men have even been arrested for cross dressing in Guyana in the past. Thankfully SASOD and several transgender men have appealled to the courts to overturn cross dressing laws. In fact: "Guyanese law prohibits men from appearing in public in female attire, and vice versa. The law appears in a section of Guyana’s legal code that also makes homosexuality a crime." (1) If this is truly the case, then many women should charged as well.

Thinking of Cross Dressers, i recall what Kiera Knightley's Character in the Duchess: Georgiana Cavendish, said in relation to her extravagant fashions. Her dress was the only way she could express herself. Fashion is after all expression. And our clothing are an extension of who we are. I can recall several occasions that i've worn clothing that i did not like wearing, and did not feel at all like myself in them. Much less, for cross dressers who are forced to wear the socially acceptable gender associated clothing. Imagine it just for a moment. It is almost as if you are in someone else's body and not your own.


So yes, I feel that cross dressing should be legalized. Persons should dress the way they want to as long as they are not harming others. This extends to dress codes but I will rant about that another time. This may be complicated for those in institutional jobs. Would employers want their male employees wearing a dress to work? This is especially important in government and other formal intuitions. How would you feel if the “Sir,” teaching you, or teaching your child, dresses like “Miss.”


To end my commentary I will quote Lady Gaga’s ‘Born this Way,’ which I ranted about in my last post:

“Don't hide yourself in regret / Just love yourself and you're set.”
and don’t forget “Don't be a drag - just be a queen!”



(1) http://propagandapress.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/transgender-men-sasod-in-guyana-court-to-overturn-cross-dressing-laws/

John Travolta in Hairspray

6 comments:

  1. If more people that write articles involved themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. I have learned too many things from your article. newhalf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. fakeboobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. fake boobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. シリコンパンツ

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a brilliant blog! I'm very happy with the comments!.. asian dating

    ReplyDelete