Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Drop everything and Read


While the Ministry of Education is lauding Monday’s drop everything and read exercise, as a teacher I was sorely disappointed in what I saw.

Almost all of the students had to be forced to take out something and read. And very few had reading material; they simply took out their exercise books and revised for the fifteen minutes.

The book distribution in Georgetown was also a nice idea, however, it would have been nice if it could have also been done in rural areas, or at least to send the books to school where those children unable to travel to the pick-up locations could have had access to books as well. I would have loved to get my hands on some new reading material, but that was not possible as I had to go to work on the day. 

I myself was unable to read for the fifteen minutes because I had to be supervising the children so they would behave and try and read instead of playing or fighting.

As an avid reader, I am very sad that very few youths love to read. English literature as a subject appears to them to be something to be endured rather than enjoyed. Often the students that study it either because it’s a “make up” subject , that is, a subject to add to the number they are writing at CXC, or because it is compulsory as in the case of the lower forms.

I know this is not all students hate reading. Hidden among the masses are still the few that love to read. I just wish there could be more of them.

2 comments:

  1. You would've loved my class, everyone read. Though there were maybe three who didn't enjoy reading. Everyone else was reading from Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Two Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Fear Street, etc etc. It was almost like a competition between a select group. The top readers. Four girls and one boy. I was that boy and I was neck and neck for 1st/2nd place between our private scores.

    ReplyDelete